Sustainability and learning technology developers

From an issue perspective, Anne-Marie Scott presented in her post sustainability as an opportunity for change.  This is a topic that I am deeply passionate about and therefore, I would explore the environmental impact of the learning technologies and the role learning technologists can play in the adoption of climate smart digital practices?  Macgilchrist et al. (2020) suggested a scenario in which “institutions are spaces for exploring and experimenting with new ways of living” (p. 86) to address the impact of climate change.  From that perspective and Scott’s views, I am interested in the combined efforts of sustainability and skill development in an ecosystem that are relevant for today’s world.  Thus, what could be sustainability initiatives with learning technologies that can be leveraging learning of new skills while addressing the impact of climate change?

Reference:

Macgilchrist, F., Allert, H., & Bruch, A. (2020). Students and society in the 2020s. Three future ‘histories’ of education and technology. Learning, Media and Technology, 45(1), 76-89. https://www.tandfonline.com.ezproxy.royalroads.ca/doi/full/10.1080/17439884.2019.1656235

By: Stephanie Messier